The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley today announced the hiring of Chasse Conque (pronounced Chase Konk) as its new Vice President and Director of Athletics. Conque has served as Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock since 2015. An official start date has not been set but Conque hopes to begin his new role by Sept. 1.
During Conque's tenure at Little Rock — which competes at the NCAA Division I level — he helped lead a resurgence of the athletic department, both on and off the playing surfaces:
- Little Rock won a combined 19 team and individual Sun Belt Conference championships, highlighted by both the men's and women's basketball teams reaching the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Three Little Rock head coaches garnered Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year honors.
- Nearly four dozen Little Rock student-athletes were named all-conference.
- In 2017-18, Little Rock posted the highest Graduation Success Rate of any Division I institution in Arkansas in six of the last seven years, graduating 82 percent of Trojan student-athletes.
- Little Rock student-athletes have posted a department-wide GPA above 3.00 for 13 consecutive semesters, including a 3.36 GPA in Fall 2018 in which 124 Little Rock student-athletes registered a GPA of 3.00 or higher and 38 boasted a perfect 4.00.
- In Spring 2018, Little Rock added a wrestling program that joined the Pac-12 Conference.
- In 2017-18, Little Rock set a program record for fundraising, raising $4.3 million to bring its total to more than $11 million over the past three years.
Conque earned his MBA from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock in 2008 and his bachelor's degree in finance from the University of Central Arkansas.
Conque and his wife, Lisa, have three daughters: twins Julianna and Sydney (7) and Adeline (5).